Wednesday 6 May 2015

#019: Metropolitan Museum of Art Gala: Red Carpet Review...

It is undoubtably one of the most glamorous event of the year; yes, that includes the Oscars. Each year, most of the well-established artists from fashion designers to actors all gather in one place: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. The benefit is held each year in honour of the Anna Wintour Costume Centre. This year, the exhibition is solely dedicated to 'China: Through the Looking Glass'. It is essentially an exhibition demonstrating the influence China has on Western fashion today. This year it will not only feature fashion, but paintings, porcelains, among many other art forms. More than one hundred of examples of haute couture and advant-garde, ready-to-wear and Chinese Art will be included.

(Before I crack on, who thought it would be a good idea to host the live stream through Periscope? Honestly, it was terrible. The image wasn't clear, and don't get me started on the comments on the left side that didn't seem to go away despite disabling them)

While myself and the rest of the world watched on, last night was the Annual Met Gala, and boy, did the guests bring it. So, firstly, I will begin with my worst dressed list and concluding with my best dressed list, capish?

Unlike previous years, we were blessed with a little list of, in my opinion, badly dressed guests.

Hahaha. Every time I see both Katy Perry and Moschino creative director, Jeremy Scott, I can't help but cringe. It's so f----ing tacky. Perry wore a sweetheart neckline Moschino gown printed in Moschino graffiti. Allow me to begin from the head down. Personally, I'm not a fan of her pixie-cut. I believe it ages her drastically. I know its a comparison we're all used to hearing, but doesn't she look like Kris Jenner? with a more relaxed face, of course. I'm not feeling the dress too, but that's not surprising. What's surprising is how quickly Scott cheapened the iconic Moschino brand. Katy can do much better. She can have any dress, yet she opts for this...very disappointing. Call me ignorant, but I'm struggling to find the Chinese aspect of this look too.


Another look I thought looked...interesting was Jennifer Lopez in custom Atelier Versace, whom was accompanied by Donatella Versace herself. Some may find it challenging to wear red on the red carpet, but I love it especially this look. I have trouble liking this dress. I like the idea behind it and shade of red, but the execution wasn't well executed. Without knowing the theme of the night, you'd be mistaken in thinking the Chinese dragon was her intestines wrapped around her torso with comically shaped blood staines seeping from her nether regions. Needless to say, I had very questionable thoughts about this piece.

No one is as excited as I am for Season 5 of American Horror Story: Hotel, where it was recently confirmed that Chloe Sevigny who wore J.W. Anderson is set to make a return to the show. When I first glanced at this look, I thought it was majestic af, well, that was before I took a look at the styling. All of the components were nice; did some go with others? hell no. Lets begin with the vocal point, the dress, skirt blouse, whatever it is! It doesn't necessarily scream "CHINA". More like Gypsy. Thats good though, right? Anyways, look much closer, its evident it's seeping in intricate Chinese embroidery. The length is perfect, but it would be interesting to see how it would look if it was a few inches longer. The thing, well, several thing[s] that landed Sevigny on my worst dressed list was the styling. I get it's probably personal style, so my opinion is invalid. Having said that, I personally sound it train wreck. From the black ribbon chocker to those ovally hooped earrings to the wrists covered in diamonds, it was all too much. I'm still indecisive on whether or not I like the shoes. The general styling reminded me of 90s fashion not in a good way. I'd rather not get into the hair and makeup.

Other's I thought didn't hit the mark!



Now, on to the good stuff. This year, it was a huge step up from last year in terms of attendee's actually sticking with the theme of the night, China: Through the Looking Glass. I know I'll most likely be burnt at the steak with my three best dressed celebrities. It's worth it though! lol

There is no denying that Beyonce was one of the most 'talked-about' celebrity at the event. Having arrived late to the red-carpet, she did not disappoint. Wearing a custom Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci Haute-Couture gown, she find-of looked beautiful. While some criticised every inch of her look, I failed to understand why? Yes, it is rather revealing, in fact, it would have been both easier and cost efficient if she went in her bra & knickers. It would be easily forgiven if it was remotely related to China, so... It looks more Indian to me if I'm honest. Clearly, you can see I like this, though I must admit she does look like a supper-slutty garden gnome with the green accents on the dress; the hair in a huge ponytail cracks me up. It's funny. It's such a huge departure to what we typically see B in. If I'm ever sad, I can always look back to this comment and smile. Oh, I should add that I can't help look at the train of the dress, especially when she was the steps. Magical.

I knew Kim would bring it! When it was revealed that Kim would be wearing Peter Dundas for Roberto Cavalli, I was concerned, because Dundas is known for his prints from Emilio Pucci. We all remember Kim's Givenchy gown two years ago, don't we? I do see the resemblance to Beyonce's 2012 Givenchy gown only with the placement of the feathers at the hem. What struck me was the colour. Looks like a 'Gypsy Bride'[s] wedding dress. Another thing that bothered me was the shoulders. WHY ARE THEY SO BIG AND HEAVY. The shoulders really bothered me to a point where I used the tip of my fingers to over them and it instantly looks better. I thought they felt unnecessary. Other than that, both her hair and makeup was on point as per usual.




Rihanna was undoubtably the talk of the show. Wearing a HUGE Guo Pei gown which was recently revealed took 2 whole years to create by hand. About 90% of the people I asked whether they liked it or not, most unsurprisingly they said no. That's understandable considering the colour, size and the general look of the garment. What I love most about Rihanna is that she likes to make an entrance; all eyes on her and only her. The colour is quick bland. Not many can pull off mustard. If Rihanna asked for it in another colour, she'd be laughed at considering the length of time it took to create such an exaggerated piece. Never the less, I believed she looked incredible and kept in touch with the theme of the night.

Honourable Mentions! 





Good bye for another year, Met Gala! Two new posts will follow this pretty soon. A review of Chanel & Louis Vuitton's Cruise 2015 collections! 

4 comments:

  1. My favourite was definetly Rihanna, so perfect

    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Gaga's look but to me most of the looks f the night did not click with the theme like I was expecting more but oh well Gaga Slayed that's all I care about

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha....you always have an opinion and I like that about you. Great post, but I hate Beyonce's gown. :-)
    Yes we can follow each other as well please. Have a lovely weekend!

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Jennifer Lawrence's look, though it wasn't as outrageous as the typical Met Gala attire. Great reviews.

    - Audrey
    http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Once again, I thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to share a thought on the post as I love other people's views on the selected topic. Also, I would appreciate if you took the extra 20 seconds to officially follow the blog; as a thank you, I will follow yours.

Make sure to check out my social media feeds:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eamonncollinsdesigns
Instagram: https://instagram.com/eamonncollins/